In the next few days, some of you will begin carefully packing to travel to our little neck of woods for a fun-filled weekend of education and fun. The big question for many of you is what to wear? What not to wear? So here are tips:
For those of you who have never been to Atlanta in July, it is hot here. How hot? It is hotter than a blister bug in a pepper patch. While visitors from south Florida might believe it’s a cold snap, the rest of us will be sweating like a hog. The temperature will be around 90 or higher with 65-75% humidity. It is sticky. Its hot. We didn’t get the nickname HOTlanta for nothing.
What to wear: If you plan to go outside for more than 5 minutes, wear something light and breathable. Jeans and heavy cottons are not light and breathable. A hat is nice if you will be standing outside and light colors are always helpful. If you are from south Florida, you may want to bring a fleece, because at night the temperatures do drop into the mid 70s.
While the atrium space is comfortable enough for general use, the individual conference room thermostats are set to their Hoth Planet setting. If you do not have this setting on your own thermostat, let’s just say the rooms are colder than a frosted frog.
What to wear: While some of you may enjoy this level of freeze, especially those coming down from Canada, most of us will need a light jacket, fleece, or woolen parka to survive. Since Mystic South does not provide TaunTaun furs, you will have to bring your own.
Outside of light, breathable clothing for outside and a down jacket for inside, there are a few other suggestions that we can make.
- Pajamas are not just for sleeping. If you intend to join the Saturday night drum party, you can wear your PJs. Please remember that this means some type of pants and a shirt. No negligees or birthday suits. Save those for the privacy of your own rooms.
- Comfortable shoes are a must. Even if you do not intend to leave the hotel, you’ll be walking around and on your feet for good amounts of time. Make sure your feet are comfortable. Treat them with kindness. Solid sandals or sneakers are perfect. Leave your stilettos and jellies at home.
- If you plan to swim in the pool, bring a bathing suit. If you forget it, there is a mall across the street. You must have a suit to swim.
- This brings me to the final point. The hotel has rules. Mystic South is not a festival on private land. We are a conference in a hotel with other events, mostly family reunions. The hotel requires a certain amount of what we might call common decency. Shirts and shoes are required, as they say. And definitely no Sky Clad. Please be mindful of this point.
- If you have any medical conditions or concerns with regard to heat, sun exposure, or light sensitivities, take all of that into account when planning your wardrobe.
Those are some tips on what to wear and not wear. Other than that, bring your unique style and flair. We love it. Now start packing!